This is a non-exempt Grade 3 position. It involves the preparation of food for inmates according to a
schedule and the cleaning and sanitizing activities of the kitchen.
Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Education: High school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent required. Work toward Associate Degree in culinary arts preferred.
- Knowledge: How to prepare daily meals in a significant quantity. Ability to receive, interpret and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Skills: Operate all basic food service equipment.
- Supervisory: None except for those who are assigned to fill in for the Supervisor.
- Interpersonal: Staff and some department personnel, occasional vendors.
- Work Conditions: Modern facilities. May work some overtime and subject to call-backs.
- Physical Requirements: Frequent lifting up to 50 pounds to a height of 72 inches. Requires sufficient visual acuity to read and write and operate kitchen equipment. Requires sufficient hearing level to be able to deal with the public and communicate with others directly or by telephone.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English fluently; ability to speak a second language is helpful.
For the Classification Series of LYON COUNTY/CITY OF EMPORIA: DETENTION OFFICERS:
The Company representative hereby acknowledges the following as valid physical requirements:
SAFE LIFTING CRITERIA:
- Employee lifts/carries 50lbs occasionally (less than 33% of the time or 1-100 times per day). (maximum pounds)
- Employee lifts/carries 40lbs frequently (34%-66% of the time or 100-500 times per day). (maximum pounds)
- Employee lifts/carries 20lbs constantly (67%-100% of the time or over 500 times per day). (maximum pounds)
- Employee's position requires pushing a maximum force of 107
- Employee's position requires pulling a maximum force of 107
Floor to knuckle: 50 lbs
12" to knuckle: 50 lbs
Knuckle to shoulder: N/A
Shoulder to overhead: N/A
Carry: 50 lbs
Push: 107lbs force (sled + 235 lbs)
Pull: 107lbs force (sled + 235 lbs)
- Prepare meals as assigned under the supervision of the Food Service Supervisor and according to schedules.
- Perform cleaning and sanitizing activities as assigned.
- Assist with receiving and storing of inventory items.
- Show up for work on a regular and predictable basis as scheduled.
- Required to attend training sessions or seminars.
- May be assigned other temporary duties by the supervisor.
- May be required to participate for 2-3 years in the WorkWellKS training seminars and the Lyon County, Kansas Wellness Team roles as: Convener, Facilitator, Secretary, Communications/Promotion, Liaison to the Executive, Meaningful Employee Engager, Event Planner, Benefits Liaison, Data Liaison, and/or Facilities.
This job description has been examined for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
DISCLAIMER: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate
reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Ready to apply for Food Preparer? Follow the steps below to get started.
To apply, download or pick up the pre-application in person from the Sheriff's Office Administrator. Once completed, please return it to the following address:
Lyon County Sheriff's Office
Emporia, KS 66801